Header

Biography

Canarsie Cemetery dates back to 1843 when John Remsen sold an acre of land surrounding what was then known as the Methodist Protestant Church of Canarsie, to the Town of Flatlands about 500 feet away from the gates of Canarsie Cemetery.

The earliest documented burial in Canarsie Cemetery occurred in 1899 and over time burials were removed from the “Old Cemetery” and reinterred at Canarsie Cemetery. Since inception, Canarsie Cemetery has interred over 5,500 loved ones. To this day, Canarsie Cemetery has remained a community cemetery, serving the people of Canarsie, as well as anyone who choose to enjoy our beautiful and serene landscape.